This list was updated 11/15/17.
Some students are so eager to get started with law school that they can’t wait until the fall semester to start. They’d like to start in the summer (which a few schools allow you to do) or, even better, in the spring. However, there aren’t very many law schools that have that spring-start option. Of the almost-200 ABA-approved U.S. law schools, only eleven offer spring-semester start dates. Which ones are they?
First-Year Spring Semester Starts
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- South Texas College of Law
- Baylor Law School
- The John Marshall Law School (Chicago)
- Pace Law School
- California Western School of Law
- University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Washburn University School of Law
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law
- Golden Gate University
- Glendale University
- Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law
- Drake University Law School
- Western State College of Law
- Coastal Law
- University of Toledo College of Law
A few things to keep in mind:
- These schools typically have November or December deadlines for their spring-start applicants. The last LSAT they accept is the October administration (for the year prior to which you are applying for) or, in a few cases, the December LSAT. Make sure you schedule your test-prep plans accordingly.
- Schools that offer spring-semester starts also offer fall-semester starts. You will probably feel a little detached from your 1L fall-start classmates, which can take a little bit out of your overall law school experience.
- Limiting yourself only to spring-start schools can limit your geographic options in choosing schools, in addition to limiting your employment options post-graduation. Make sure that, if you’re considering a spring start, you’re doing so for reasons more than just a desire to get started quickly. While it can be gratifying to get started on your law school path, it will be even more gratifying to have plenty of academic and professional options once you’re in law school.
Many schools have summer starts and jump start programs before the fall enrollment.