The PowerScore Graduate Program Spotlight gives you a snapshot of a different graduate program each week. For more information about each profiled institution, be sure to check out the school's website.
Vanderbilt University's Peabody College of Education & Human Development is today's Grad Program Spotlight. From the school's website:
Our well-rounded community includes five unique departments, a top-ranked graduate school, national research centers, and the largest undergraduate major at Vanderbilt. Peabody professors are well-known scholars and practitioners who actively mentor students. Our undergraduate, master’s, Ed.D., Ph.D., and professional development programs all attract people who share a deep concern for the human condition and education. Open-minded and innovative, we foster a challenging yet supportive environment.
We benefit thousands of people by creating new knowledge. Some of our most recent work focuses on understanding how
- cultural differences affect language skills
- public policy affects school administration
- communities can relieve adolescent depression or the effects of maternal depression on children
- the state of Tennessee can improve delivery of education and human services
In these and many other projects, Peabody partners with metropolitan, state, and national organizations on funded research projects; examples include
- an interdisciplinary program of research focusing on the role of the body in mathematical activity
- an assessment system for evaluating student skills with data modeling and statistical reasoning
- the impact on student achievement of performance incentives for teachers, administrators, and principals
Our collaboration with the larger Vanderbilt community opens up even more possibilities for exploration.
Type of school: Private
Size: 684 graduate students; 1,202 undergraduate students.
Degrees offered: M. Ed., Ed. D., and Ph. D.
Student-to-faculty ratio: 2.7 to 1 (according to the school's U.S. News & World Report profile)
Tuition and fees: $1,164 per credit hour
Cost of living (single student): $21,724
Address: 230 Appleton Place, Nashville, TN 37203-5721
Phone: 615.322.8410 (Graduate Admissions)
Email: Contact Form
Twitter accounts: @vupeabody, @PeabodyLibrary
Facebook: Vanderbilt Peabody
Blog: The Vandy Admissions Blog: Peabody College of Education and Human Development
All information (except for social networking and blog information) was gathered from the school's website and the school's U.S. News & World Report profile. Please consult the school's website and Office of Admissions with questions regarding this information.
To see other schools in the Graduate Program Spotlight series, click here.